- Misguided Policy: Following Venture Capital into Clean Technology
California Management Review, Winter 2012
- The Business of Innovating: Bringing Low-Carbon Solutions to Market
Center for Climate and Energy Solutions, October 2011
- A History Lesson for the Clean Tech Revolution
Kauffman Foundation, 2010
- Technology Policy and Global Warming: Why New Innovation Models are Needed (email to request a copy)
Research Policy, 2010
- Together We Innovate
with Rob Cross, Salvatore Parise, and Robert J. Thomas
MIT Sloan Management Review (Wall Street Journal, September 15, 2007)
- Leading with Vision: The Design of New Ventures
Design Management Review Winter 2005
- Identifying Situated Cognition in Organizations
with K. D. Elsbach and P. S. Barr, Organization Science v16 (4) 422-433
- Brokers of innovation: Lessons from the past
Focus,Vol VIII/1, 2004
- Clean Energy & Fuel Cells: Implications for Innovation Strategies from Historic Technology Transitions
Public Fuel Cell Alliance, 2004
- How Breakthroughs Happen: The Surprising Truth about how Companies Innovate
Harvard Business School Press (2003) (Available at Amazon)
- Bridging and Building: Towards a Microsociology of Creativity
Creativity and Innovation in Groups and Teams, Leigh Thompson (ed.), Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Retooling R&D: Technology Brokering and the Pursuit of Innovation
Ivey Business Journal, 2004.
- Brokering Knowledge: Linking Learning and Innovation
Research in Organizational Behavior, 2002.
- The Politics of Knowledge Work
with B. Bechky, Advances in Qualitative Organization Research, 2004.
- When Innovations meet Institutions: Edison and the Design of the Electric Light
with Y. Douglas, Administrative Science Quarterly, 2001.
- Action and Possibility: Reconciling Dual Perspectives of Knowledge in Organizations
With A. Fanelli, 2001 Special Issue on Knowledge and Knowing in Organizations, Organization Science.
- Building the Innovation Factory (email to request a copy)
With R. I. Sutton (2000), Harvard Business Review, May-June.
- The Pleasures of Immersion and Interaction: Schemas, Scripts, and the Fifth Business
with Y. Douglas (2001), SIGGRAPH 2001 Electronic Art and Animation Catalog, Los Angeles, CA.
- Group Cognition and Creativity in Organizations
In Wageman, R, M. A. Neale, and B. Mannix Eds., (1999) Groups in Context, v2: 137-155.
- Technology Brokering and Innovation in a Product Development Firm
with R. I. Sutton (1997), Administrative Science Quarterly, 42: 716-749.
- Firms as Knowledge Brokers: Lessons in Pursuing Continuous Innovation
California Management Review (1997). 40 3: 209-227.
- Speed and quality in new product development
with K. M. Eisenhardt (1997), in R. E. Cole and W. R. Scott eds., The Quality Movement in America: Lessons for Theory and Research.
- Diffusion of innovations: The current model and directions for future research
in R.C. Dorf ed., (1996) The Handbook of Technology Management. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Inc.
- Brainstorming Groups in Context: Effectiveness in a Product Design Firm
with R. I. Sutton (1996) Administrative Science Quarterly, 41: 685-718.